Goa: The emerald silhouetted by pristine coastlines running along the majestic Arabian sea, adorned by the lush green Palm trees all around, and quaint little shacks, is a favorite holiday destination for most Indians, as well as travelers from all over the world. Whether it’s the affordable food and beer and late night parties at the prominent shoreline shacks, or nature reverence by watching dawn and dusk on the more laid-back shorelines along the angling towns, whether you are seeking wilderness, or want to taste freedom, or just to experience the serenity to soothe your senses, Goa is a perfect escape and has something to whet every explorer’s appetite. The beautiful blend of Portuguese and Indian cultures, gives it a multi-faceted personality which embraces modernism, traditionalism, wilderness and spirituality with equal grace.
1. Baba Au Rhum: The beloved cafe of travelers and foodies alike, one of Goa’s best kept secrets, and my favorite cafe. Baba Au Rhum is an incredible experience, and an absolutely must visit if you’re in Goa. Located on one of the back roads, sitting prettily amidst the lavish greenery of the beautiful Bamboo forests giving you the vibe of a rain forest, this place is just stunning. Sit there in the languid luxuries of nature, enjoying authentic french delicacies, gorging on sinful desserts, while you listen to the soulful music being played by the DJ near you. Let the fabulousness of great food whet your appetite, and the serenity of ambiance alleviate your senses.
Cuisine: French, Italian
Must try here: Pizzas, Chicken burger, Mushroom Quiche, Raspberry Tartare with Pistachios and almonds.
2. La Plage: Perched prettily on the beautiful Aswem beach, peeking from behind the lushness of tropical palms and bushes, with a stunning decor and an admirable view of the sea, this place is exquisite, and should be included in your next visit to Goa. After a walk or jog on the Aswem beach, head over to this place for an early breakfast, while you enjoy the cool breeze and view of the sea. Famed for stirring up some authentic french dishes, you can not go wrong with the ordering here. The scrambles eggs here are to die for, never had such humbly, yet, delectably prepared ones so far in Goa.
Cuisines: Seafood, French Must try: The scrambled eggs.
3. The Rice Mill: A rice mill during the Portuguese era, restored and converted into a a quaint, trendy cafe with an old school charm, lovely wooden interiors, and high ceilings. This place has a charming décor, and is known for their exceptionally good coffee, which is locally grown and roasted till perfection.
We stumbled upon this place last when in Goa, and totally fell in love. Sip on the phenomenal coffee, while you listen to Jazz playing in the background (another favourite part), and treat yourself to some scrumptious dishes on the menu. This place blew my mind away, a gem indeed.
Cuisines: Continental, Goan
Must try: Coffee, sandwich.
4. Jardin D’ulysse: An enchanting restaurant sitting by the river Morjim, in a tropical setting, adorned with lush green nature all around, is a beautiful escape for the mornings. This stunning property also offers a lovely stay, and has a gorgeous treehouse and boutique to admire and experience. Sit in the cozy treehouse, and enjoy the delectable dishes, while you gaze at the river. The restaurant looks lovelier in the evenings with the lights and decor. The serenity of the place will warm your heart, and the delicious food will please your palette.
Cuisines: European, Asian, Continental
Must try here: Hash brown potatoes
5. Le Patisserie Délicieux : Stop by this authentic french bakery, and let the taste of their sinful desserts transport you to France. Head to the place for a luxurious array of french bakes and goodness, freshly prepared every morning. Indulge in the heavenliness, and enjoy their invigorating coffees. The desserts in this place are incomparable, and are only the best in the state. Visiting this place at least once, is quintessential for the love of your sweet cravings.
Cuisines: French, bakery
Must try: Desserts, Croissants, Ferrero Rocher and Chocolate Praline pastries